Non-hokkien nY Surviving in Penang

Time flies. Five years have gone in a twinkling of the eyes and finally nY graduated from Money Making University-MMU. Everyone was busy looking for jobs before we completed our final war in MMU. I also joined the crowd so that I won’t become out-dated. Happily, Avago Technologies Penang picked me from the poll and offered me as their permanent exempt engineer without any probation.

Honestly, I just attended the interview for fun, mana tau they called me the following day after the 30 minutes phone interview, informing me that I got the job. Feeling a bit shocked plus impressed, I told papa mama about the “good news”. I thought they won’t comment anything but I’m wrong. They 'ordered' me to go ahead with my job while waiting TELEKOM to grab me. NGEK NGEK (I’m bonded with TELEKOM for 10 years)

After struggling for few weeks plus the lure from evil friends who work in Penang, I finally made up my mind to start another part of my life journey to the North. Sei lo.. Penang is full with Hokkien Lang and nY does not know how to speak in Hokkien at all. OMG! How ah? Don’t care lah.. Hantam only.

I already faced obstacles the first day I ordered my dinner at Penang. I still remembered the waitress asked me, “ Le mau jiak ha mi?” I rolled my eyes and don’t know what to answer. I wondered why she asked me to eat “small prawn” ( Ha mai in Cantonese). :D I stunned for a while and faster pinpoint the menu. Settled first problem, then followed with second one. Another waitress asked what I wanted to drink. I was thinking to order Herbal Tea but having difficulty to pronounce it in Hokkien. Hence, no choice dy...have to follow my friend’s order. Aih… Poor nY…

The working environment is very relaxing and friendly. The hospitability from the colleagues warms my heart. There are no such political issues like what occured in other company. There are many eyes candies around too. :D~ Everything went smoothly until I attended the first meeting with my colleagues. Wahlau yeh…. My boss conducted the meeting in Hokkien! !@#$%^&* I really don’t know what they talking about, just keep on nodding my head in the whole meeting. In my past 22 years, I only learnt the Hokkien words from ex-housemates such as “KanaSai”, “ Jiak Peng”, “Kar Cheng”, “ Ang ang” and etc. I only able to recognize what they meant by catching some of the English words.

This is not the worst incident. One day, out of no where, one of my Malay managers comes to chit chat with me. Suddenly she mentioned about “Tah Bo” and “ Zha Bo” “Peng Yew”. I opened my mouth wide and feel a bit down because even Malays can speak Hokkien better than me. Frankly, I still can’t differentiate Tah Bo & Zha Bo. But…According to my kawan, there is one way to remember. :D Guys like to play ball -Tah Bo. Girls let guy ***** --Zha Bo. Hiak hiak….

I’m just like an alien in the company. Sometimes other colleagues from material department call me to ask about the product part number but they normally communicate in Hokkien. What “ go yi pek pek, lag lag go chik (5188-6657)”….OMG! Which ah pek? What lag lag? Question marks pop up from my head??? I have to speak mandarin and their response normally will be” Ah… You don’t know Hokkien ah!~” KNS. nY already trying so hard to learn but very tough ma. >.<>

Only those I-don’t-know-Hokkien people will understand my feeling. So, I would like to share what I learnt here with them. :D

1. Air mata kucing – GinGin ( like my dog dog name- KinKin)
2. Big – Tua
3. two – Nua
4. eight- pek
5. Sleep- Kun
6. Fish- Hu
7. Eyes- Bak jew
8. I Don’t know – Wa Ng Zai ( very useful)

If you want to order two big laksa & a glass of herbal tea, you can say “ Uncle/ Auntie, wa ai nua wa tua eh Laksa & Jit Pui Leng Teh!” I very good in this because I loves Laksa & Herbal tea. * Proud* He he.. If you still cannot cope with this, you have to use your little finger to point.

To those that have same experience with me, ganbateh and don’t give up in learning Hokkien loh!~ ^^






6 comments:

Anonymous says:

Hahaha!!!!!!
Good one! I like tha Ta Bo & Zha Bo part.....
I wonder if the writer also likes getting "Zha Bo" since she has XX chromosome, HAHAHAHA
Never thought she will write such a nice blog, if u have seen her unedited version of the first blog, u will......
Er....Forget what I had said, Oh no, the girl in front of me is having some kind of HEAT VISION already, GOTTA GO NOW!!

- Wern Sern says:

eh...dun keh si..i know i got teach you some hokkien too..u also know earlier..KNNCCB..jiak sai..

NICE blog..suits u ;)but about the zha bo part..careful..laser is waiting for the chance..even though i dunno who he/she is.

Xweing says:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA....

damn funny weh....... rupa-rupanya u can write like Kenny Sia neh...!!

=))

Write something about NATALIE AND BERRY la..

Anonymous says:

i've heard of 'ta po and cha bo' thingy before. it's the trick my ipoh ex-roommates that came from cantonese town start to cope with hokkien speaking friends in melaka during alpha.

how creative are they!

same like you, I thought every chinese in Malaysia speaks hokkien until i followed my mother to KL during standard 3. it was a big culture shock for me that time too. cuz i couldn't utter a word of that language but can understand with a little vocabs picked up from HK series.

Luckily i was still young, everything was settled by others.

Anonymous says:

fuiyohh.. got own blog... learn hokkien no good lah.. full of carut words... say NO to hokkien !

Anonymous says:

NYNY!! miss you so much!
Keep writing! So that i can keep myself updated with your news =D
This post is fun. HaHAhAHAHaa..
Miss ya..Take good care ;)